Thursday, April 29, 2010

Apple Coffee Cake

I'm really excited about this one! It's the best coffee cake I've ever had...did I mention it's guilt-lessly heart-healthy too! This is also a good starter food to get your family used to eating whole wheat. This recipe uses half whole wheat flour/half white flour. With all the sugary apple cinnamon goodness, I don't even taste the whole wheat.

Apple Coffee Cake

Dry ingredients:
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Wet ingredients:
1.5 cups peeled and diced granny smith apple (1.5 apples)
1/4 cup liquid egg product (egg beaters original)
1/3 cup + 2 Tbs sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
optional: 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans [adds 100 calories per serving]

Topping:
1 Tbs flour
1 Tbs Whole wheat flour
2 Tbs oats or nuts
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbs butter
2 Tbs brown sugar

1. Lightly spray a 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Mix wet ingredients and add dry ingredients all at once. Stir just until combined.
3. Pour batter into the pan. Combine topping with a fork until crumbly.
4. Sprinkle topping on top of cake batter.
5. Bake for 30 minutes. Let it cool slightly, but serve warm.


Note: I tweeked this recipe so that it would be appropriate for just 4 servings because there are 4 people in my family. Obviously you could get more servings out of it, but let's be honest. While my kids are taking their afternoon nap, any leftover species of "cake" does this mysterious disappearing act. *wink wink* I avoid leftovers completely by serving LARGE pieces of cake at breakfast so that it disappears BEFORE my vulnerable time of day.

Here's the stats for 1/4 of the cake:
calories 317 fat 3.7g carbs 70g sugars 34g fiber 4g protein 6g
Okay, ALOT of carbs and sugar! I know, but for a weekend brunch I'm willing to splurge.

Try this recipe and leave a comment telling me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment