Monday, April 26, 2010

Movie Night

To celebrate the release of Avatar on DVD, I thought I'd talk about popcorn. Popcorn is a great, low calorie snack with lots of fiber for the amount of calories. The trick is in the toppings. I love butter soaked popcorn with plenty of salt, but I know my heart doesn't appreciate it. So to please my body and my guilty conscience, I prepare my popcorn a little differently. I air-pop my popcorn (totally worth the $18 I spent on an air-popper), then I spray it with a little "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" Spray, and sprinkle a little cinnamon and sugar all over it. What can I say, I have a sweet tooth, but you could certainly use salt too.


Here's the stats for 3 cups of popped popcorn:

Oil-popped 165 calories 9g fat
Air-popped 92 calories 1 g fat

1 Tbs butter 102 cal 11.5g fat
imitation butter spray 0 cal 0 fat (that's right, it's flavored water!)

(the sugar will add 16 calories per tsp)

So feel good about enjoying some popcorn with your movie!

Note: I am concerned about taste and to keep the integrity of my blog, I won't hold back any information regarding taste. I will tell you that with the butter spray, I've noticed that it changes the texture of the popcorn. It becomes a little chewier, especially if you let it sit for a while. Obviously because every kernel gets wet with the spray. But I still eat it and love it!

2 comments:

  1. I need to invest in an air popper...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are doing a blog girl!
    I love popcorn as a snack. I don't have an air popper though and just use a big pot with a couple TB of olive oil and 1/3 cup popcorn over medium heat. My favorite topping is nutritional yeast and Spike (all-purpose seasoning) with a little salt - YUM!

    ReplyDelete