Saturday, April 24, 2010

"Healthy"

I hate the term "healthy." (That may surprise you since my blog has it in the title.) My dislike for the word comes from people's general use of the word. There are not healthy foods and unhealthy foods. It bothers me that people think it is black and white.

Like salad. Most people say: healthy food! Let's break it down.
Lettuce -- almost 0 calories and almost 0 nutritional value (it's the "water" of food)
Vegetables -- healthy, but how many salads are packed with them?
Cheese -- high in fat (not the healthiest kind of fat either)
Salad dressing -- definitely not healthy (all yucky fat and 2 Tbs = 120 calories) and I bet you use more than 2 Tbs!
So your for your basic green salad, you add a bunch of fat to eat a few shreds of carrot and a couple tomatoes. I'd rather skip the salad and have a handful of carrot sticks.

So here's my definition of healthy:
1. Healthy Food = anything that is packed with nutrients to fuel your body, make you feel good and have energy that lasts all day; food in it's natural state (without a long list of chemicals)
2. Healthy Person = when your body reaches a weight and fitness level that allows you to do anything active without hesitation

What is your definition of healthy?

2 comments:

  1. I'm still trying to define my personal definition of "healthy". I did the all raw thing for three years and now I'm doing more vegan/vegetarian.
    Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value, but other lettuces have tons - romaine, green and red leaf lettuce..Romaine is the staple at my house.

    ReplyDelete