Sunday, May 2, 2010

Breakfast Week: cereal

Welcome to Breakfast Week!
A whole week of breakfast tips and recipes!

(You all eat breakfast right?!)
Skipping meals slows down your metabolism and makes you more likely to overeat at other times of the day.

Breakfast Week Day 1: All cereal is not created equal!

Have you ever gotten one of those tiny single serving boxes of cereal, poured it in your bowl, and were shocked to see that one box was about half a normal serving? I've been there, but actually it was a single serving. If that amount of cereal seems preposterous to you, you are probably eating several servings of cereal in one sitting. I'm kind of compulsive about it, but now I ALWAYS measure my cereal, according to the serving size on the side of the box.

Some truths about ALL cereal:
1. It's a fairly low-calorie way to get a serving of grains.
2. It's fortified with essential vitamins and minerals.
3. Americans eat so much of it that stores devote a whole isle for cereal!

Some things I look for when choosing a cereal:
1. Calories -- if there's only 100-120 it's not going to satisfy your appetite for long.
2. Sugar -- if there is a lot of sugar, as soon as the sugar high wears off, your hunger will strike.
3. Protein -- some cereals are fortified with protein to help curb your hunger, ultimately giving you more balance in your breakfast. (This is important if you are having a mostly carbohydrate breakfast.)

Some of my favorite cereals:
1. Kashi GoLean Crunch
Check out the fiber and protein!
This cereal comes in at about 190 calories and it is the BEST at keeping me full until lunch!

I love Kashi perhaps because I buy into their advertising, perhaps because there are so many unusual grains in their products that I feel exotic and super-healthy eating them.


2. I also like Kashi Heart to Heart Oat Flakes and Wild Blueberry Clusters


3. Kellogg's Frosted-Mini Wheats
They actually have a respectable amount of fiber and protein.


4. If I'm in a cereal rut, I will go for a lower calorie cereal (Wheaties or Rice Crispies), but I'll add bananas or berries on top. It's delicious and "healthy," but I guarantee that by 10:00am I'll be ravenously hungry and tempted to grab a snack.

That's it! You have no excuse NOT to eat breakfast because it doesn't get much quicker than cereal. What is your favorite cereal?

No comments:

Post a Comment