Friday, May 14, 2010

Confessions

Dear Readers,

I have a confession to make......*deep breath*......I've fallen off the wagon. You know what I'm talking about. You are on a really good, long healthy-streak; you think it's so great that you would never want to go back to your old ways; and then thump...you find yourself knocked on your A$$ and you don't know how you could have fallen off.

Figure it out! The reason your "diet," for lack of a better word, failed is crucial to deciding how to get out of your slump. I've been reflecting on it all week and I've come up with a list of my weaknesses.

  • I'm an emotional eater! Whenever times get hard, I turn to food to make it all feel better. Example: When my kids just won't go to bed I get into this pattern. Get up, put the kids back in bed, close the door, take a trip to the kitchen, go back to whatever I was doing, repeat the next time they get out of bed. SHOCKING that anyone could be that STUPID and COMPULSIVE. But yes, without fail, I always stop at the kitchen on my way back from their bedroom. This can go on for up to 2 hours at a time! Stressful.
  • When my husband "leaves" I get a little blue and have less motivation to make wise choices.
  • When my husband "leaves" I don't make dinner like I normally do every night. We clean out the freezer and the fridge. We tend to eat a lot of PB&J and breakfast foods. Eating more like the kids do leaves me less satisfied and more likely to search for "grown-up" food while they are napping or sleeping.
  • Certain times of the month trigger a chocolate craving. Let's just say my stockpiles of chocolate chips for baking have been completely depleted and the only chocolate left in the house is about 2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder. It's BAD, I know!
  • I have temporarily lost my gym privileges. So I'm running a low on endorphins. It's extremely depressing.
Fact: ALL of these issues hit me with one forceful punch this week...knocking me completely off the "be-nice-to-your-body wagon."

My action plan: I can't control when my husband comes back from military black hole; but I can control my choices.
I've decided to instill 2 rules to live by while he's gone.

1. Do NOT eat while the kids are napping.
2. Do NOT eat after the kids have gone to bed.
These rules will limit me to 3 meals a day, in which I can better control my nutrition than emotional eating.

As for the gym privileges, I am working on it but in the meantime I will be exploring alternative home-gym options. Stay tuned for exercises you can do without a gym membership.

Keeping it real,
Melissa

P.S. Does anyone else have any shocking compulsions?

2 comments:

  1. You can do it girl. I was watching Oprah the other day and she was talking about this book called "Women, Food and God" It looked really interesting, you might want to check it out :)

    Anyway, don't beat yourself up it will only make you feel bad and want to eat more. Celebrate because you are capable and when you know better, you do better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I brush my teeth really good after dinner. That way, when I'm tempted to munch all night long I think, "eh, I already brushed, I don't wanna do it again." I don't have a gym membership, and playing wii fit is almost impossible w/ a baby hanging on your leg, can't wait for your ideas!

    ReplyDelete